One of the true beauties of the TestComplete is the “TestExecute”.
TestExecute is a light weight application which is used to run the TestComplete test cases without the installation of the TestComplete. Hence saving the memory consumed by TestComplete during execution.
It is useful in the scenario, if the developer/tester want to execute the script on the remote machine without the installation of the TestComplete
With the enterprise edition of TestComplete one license for TestExecute come free, but if you want to have no of testExecute then you need to purchase the license from SmartBear.
Execution of the scripts from the TestExecute:
Scripts are triggered with TestExcute with the help of the command line.
The syntax for the same is
TestExecute.exe [file_name] [/run [(/p: project_name) or (/p: project_name /pi:item_name) or (/p:project_name /t:test_name) or
(/p:project_name /u:unit_name /rt:routine_name)]
The description of the arguments used in the below syntax is as below:
- File_name : It opens the Testexecute and loads the specific project(.mds) or project suite (.pjs) into it.
- /Run : Start the execution of the open item. The execution depends on the argument passed along it.
- No other argument specified
- Run the open item.
- No other argument specified
- / p:project_name
- Run the specified project from the project panel.
- /p: project_name /pi:item_name
- TestExecute will run test(s) provided by the specified project item. Project_name refers to the name of the project in which desired project item is present. Projectitem_name is the name of the desired project item.
- /p:project_name /t:test_name
- TestExecute will run the specified test. Project_name specifies the name of the project that holds the desired test. Test_name specifies the full name of the desired test.
PS: you need to provide the full path of the test case separated by the pipe character (|). The script should not contain the name of any of the folders present in the TestComplete.
- /p:project_name /u:unit_name /rt:routine_name)
- TestExecute will run the specified script routine. Project_name specifies the name of the project to which the routine belongs. Unit_name specifies the name of the unit holding the desired routine. Routine_name is the name of the script routine to be called.
- TestComplete exits once the execution is complete
- – If this argument is specified, TestExecute works in silent mode, that is, it neither displays dialogs, nor informs you about errors or warnings.
- /exportlog:File_name (or /el:File_name)
- Exports the test run results to the .mht file specified by the File_name parameter.
- If this argument is specified and TestExecute is running in Silent mode, TestExecute automatically converts projects created in earlier versions of the tool to the new format when they are opened.
One of the examples that can be illustrated in the same is as follows:
“C:\Program Files\Automated QA\Bin\TestExecute.exe” “C:\ Program Files\Automated QA \Projects\Project3.pjs” /r /p: Project3 /u: Unit3 /rt: Main
The detailed description of the above command is as follows:
- “C:\Program Files\Automated QA\Bin\TestExecute.exe”
- It denotes the path of the testexecute.exe file
- ” C:\ Program Files\Automated QA \Projects\Project3.pjs”
- Denotes the path of the Project Suite named Project3.
- /r /p: Project3 /u: Unit3 /rt: Main
- It instructs testExecute to run the Main routine present in the Unit “Unit3” of the project suite Project3
This is the most convenient method used for execution of the test script using TestComplete.
Recommended System Requirements
- Intel Pentium 4 3 GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GHz or higher.
- 1 GB of RAM on Windows XP and Windows Server 2003.
2 GB of RAM on Windows Vista, Windows 7 and later operating systems.
- 400 MB hard disk space for installation.Additional free disk space is required to run test projects, as TestExecute creates temporary files to store data generated during the test run. The actual free space required increases with the project size. It is recommended to have at least 200 MB of free space on your system disk in order to run small projects, and 1-2 GB of free space to run large projects.
- 800 × 600 or higher display resolution.
- Mouse or other pointing device.
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0 or later.
TestExecute Trial version can be downloaded from SmartBear site.